Southern Kimchi?

I had some storage vegetables on hand and was thinking about roasting them. I laid a nice, sweet cabbage on the counter, laid out some carrots, some radishes, storage onions, garlic... a few green onions... I noticed a string of dried hot peppers in the corner.... a knob of ginger..... I realized that I had nearly everything I needed for kimchi! I was out of fish sauce, so I substituted a couple of dashes of store bought soy sauce and a spoonful of kombucha. I'll know in 10 days if it is worth eating, but it tastes like a good Asian slaw already, so I think it is going to be good. Kimchi may not be traditionally Southern, but neither was chowchow or chutney until Southerners began making it..... I'm thinking of all kinds of substitutions using traditional Southern vegetables. Obviously, turnips could substitute for radishes, collards for cabbage.... maybe rutabaga... Vidalia onions... ramps... maybe wild ginger... cayenne peppers.. Do y'all have any suggestions?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Air Dried Country Sausage

Fermented Foods Radio program