Radish Greens



Well, I just had a head-slapping moment! I was chatting with an elderly Asian lady the other day and she was curious about Southern greens. She was very pleased to learn of our passion for turnips - apparently, that is a big deal in Japan. I mentioned that my favorite is mustard. She told me that they have several varieties of Asian mustard, and the greens are among her favorites along with radish tops. Well, I had never tried cooked radish tops. She was amazed by this ...and seemed to think it was a real shame that my radish tops had gone to the compost heap or the chickens. Well, radishes are in the same family as both mustard and turnips... so I gave it a try. WOW! Just cooked in oil and salt, they are awesome! The flavor is somewhere between mild mustard greens and spinach with butter... seriously! The flavor is very buttery. The high mineral content gives the distinct aroma of roasted oysters. The taste is not fishy, but the aroma has a strong aspect of oysters roasted in the shell. So, if you closed your eyes, you would anticipate Oysters Rockefeller. It is really a very good, mild, savory, green with a remarkable depth of flavor and aroma

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Air Dried Country Sausage

My convoluted, unproven, Faulknerian theory of Southern Food

Real North Carolina Barbecue